Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mi Piace Tanto l'Italia!

So, last night as I was stuffing my poor fried brain with last minute info on Amelogenin and Streptococcus mutans, my mom called from Italy and said, in Thai, "I was in Verona yesterday and took a picture of Romeo and Juliet's balcony like I promised I would. But I'm in Venice now. I took a gondola ride like in that Casanova movie you forced me to watch at the cinema, and they got a guy to play a violin and everything; too bad your dad isn't here (aww!). Oh, and I'm going to Milan the day after tomorrow. Do you want anything?"

:D!!!

Oh, happy day!

Talk about music to my ears.

Still, as much as I covet those lovely Italian handbags, I have to say they tend to lose their glamour and appeal very quickly here in Thailand, especially since everyone and their mother can get scarily perfect replicas of them from Siam Square or Jatujak for about a tenth of their original price.

But with that in mind, I must say that I'm only human. And as much as I like to harp on those khun yings and their LV/Gucci/Fendi monogrammed bags, I still love me some designerware. In other words, I want this SO VERY BADLY. I know it's not Italian, but they have to have it in Milan, because hello, this is MILAN we're talking about here.

***

Anyway, Italian bags aside, I had a very weird moment last week. Seriously. This ranks way up there with my encounter with Mr. Handlebar Mustasche, as you will soon see...

[While walking out of Kinokuniya at Paragon, a guy in a NYU shirt comes up from behind me]
NYU GUY: Excuse me, do I know you?
ME: [too engrossed with sending Goi a text message to notice that said question was being directed at me]
NYU GUY: Excuse me?
ME: [still too engrossed]
NYU GUY: [tapping me on the shoulder]
ME: [looking up, surprised as hell]
NYU GUY: Hi. Sorry, but do I know you from somewhere?
ME: Um, I don't think so.
NYU GUY: [frowning] Yeah, I do...I swear I've seen you before somewhere.
ME: [taking a step back, slightly skeeved] No, really. I'm pretty sure I've never seen you before in my entire life.
NYU GUY: [brow furrowed, clearly certain he's seen me before] No, wait. Now I remember! You have that blog!
ME: [Still in a daze, thanks to my Embryology final] Huh?
NYU GUY: Yeah, your blog -- brain farts, or something?
ME: [turning about a million shades of red] Oh. THAT.

Anyway, NYU Guy turned out to be Riley, a grad student at NYU who's currently trekking through Thailand, Asia, and in his words, "as far as his wallet will allow him." He found my blog while googling for Thai blogs in preparation for his trip, and said that he only meant to read a few entries, but ended up reading everything even though he doesn't give one fig about hot phantoms, British boy bands, or medical dorkiness...which I thought was very nice of him, all things considered. He said I should blog more often, and I totally intend to, now that finals are finally coming to a close.

Speaking of which, thank you, Finals, it's all because of you that my biological clock is now officially screwed. One week of getting 2-3 hours of sleep/night will do that to you. I mean, look at me -- it's 4:49 in the am and here I am hitting up blogger. Oh, the sadness!

Currently Playing: I Don't Feel Like Dancing by the Scissor Sisters. Justin might have brought SexyBack, but the Sisters have totally brought DiscoBack. It's like sitting in a time warp; their stuff seriously reminds me of the old 70's disco songs my dad used to play on our old record player when I was a kid, except better, even. I mean, their stuff is so ridiculously catchy, it's not even funny. So with that said, I dare you to listen to this song and NOT dance. Go on, I dare you!

9 Comments:

At Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a celebrity blogger!! either that, or NYU guy was stalking you! just kidding, NYU guy (if you're reading this).

so what do you have planned now that finals are over? vacation?

the new job is great by the way! i'm very happy =)

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Blogger Scott McLean said...

Hi, I see you through blogs in Thailand. Your blog is interesting. Take care.

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Pan: I might get out of the city for a few days, but probably not anything more than that b/c unfortunately school starts again in two weeks. Ack. Oh, and I'm so happy your new job makes you happy! Your old one was working you waaay too hard.

Thanks, Scott!

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, now you've done it...I totally want that bag now, too! It's incredibly cute. Do you have any idea how much it cost?

I had a weird adventure with being recognized recently, too:
http://newport2newport.livejournal.com/34102.html?mode=reply

Isn't it weird, how small this world really is?

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 6:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You're blogging again! About the NYU guy, I am not surprised at all. Your blog has what it takes to make you a web celebrity. It is interesting, fun, and eloquent. I showed it to my gf a while back, and even she, who is not usually into blogs, LOVED it. The conversation went something like this:

(Talking on phone)
GF: So today on the way to school ...

ART: (major fit of laughter)

GF: How is that funny?

ART: No, no, I was reading this blog and it completedly cracked me up.

GF: Whose blog?

ART: Lynn's.

GF: (extreme jealousy vibe) Who's LYNN?

ART: Umm ... this great blogger. See for yourself. (send link via MSN, the entry about the curious kid on the plane)

GF: (laughed till tears were falling) Oh my GOD!

ART: ... told ya.

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006 7:03:00 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hey Lynn,

ahhhh, crap, ever since I've scrapped my newsreader, I kinda forgot to read your blog.

Wow, so now you're a celebrity blogger! I never had anyone recognising me from my blog.

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a Scissor Sisters addict too! I've been playing their Ta-Dah CD nonstop in my car for a MONTH ... AND they're coming to Boston at the end of the month. EEEEEEE!!!! I LOVE "Dont feel like dancing" even though the lyrics *are* actually a little bit sad. I love disco. we should have a dork disco party if we ever see each other again :)

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you NEED a facebook profile!!! I think they got rid of that annoying requirement of a US-based university/school email address.

 
At Friday, October 20, 2006 10:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, lynn...i didn't "re-discover" you until i got that email from you and your blog address was at the bottom. anyway, you're famous!!!

i hope my blog will be famous one day too..hahaha. i forgot to tell you that my old blog is gone now...i upgraded to google accounts and it messed up everything so now i've moved my blog to a different site...but it's still under construction (i'm coming up with a new design for it) so it'll be a while before i can "launch" it. :(

anyway, it's good to see that you're back to blogging...can't leave your readers hangin' for long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home