Friday, September 29, 2006

Audio Pimpage

Official Finals Tally: 2 down, 6 more to go. :(

So the Anatomy lab exam today (well, technically yesterday) wasn't as bad as I originally thought it'd be. First off, the much hated salpingopharyngeus didn't even appear on the exam -- AT ALL -- meaning that the A I had my eye on at the beginning of the term is still mine. Quelle surprise! So much fingernail-biting over nothing. This makes me wonder if all that last minute praying/pleading/begging ("Are you there God? It's me, Lynn.") had something to do with it. Who knows? Like my girl Caroline always says, "It's interesting how we all suddenly become real chummy with God during exam time."

Gee, no kidding.

Anyway, before I send you all spiraling into a coma with my rants on Academia, I thought I'd divulge on another one of my biggest loves ever...

MUSIC.

(Why, what did you THINK I was referring to?)

Lately I've found myself stumbling across some seriously stellar musicians. Some of them are already relatively well-known in certain parts of the world, others not so much. But who cares, because either way, they've all been a great breakaway from contemporary radio muzak...

I keed, I keed! I love the top 40's just as much as the next person, but sometimes it's nice to immerse the ears in something a little different, ya know? Cleanse the palate, so to speak. So, without further ado, here's a list of musicians who have piqued my interest these past few months...plus links to noteworthy video performances.

  • Tristan Prettyman, whose chill and laid-back tunes are perfect for kicking back to after a really long day. Her range isn't anything to be mesmerized by, but her velvety voice definitely is. Check her music out if you're looking for something with more of a indie folk/indie pop feel. [1] [2]
  • If, however, you're craving for some jazz and blues, you can't go wrong with the way talented Katie Melua, who's definitely a much more interesting alternative to Snorah -- oops, I mean Norah -- Jones. She must be doing something right; after all, her first album went 6 x platinum. Oh, and get this -- the girl's only 21. [1] [2] [3]
  • I don't know how else to describe Mattafix, other than as a creative duo whose music ranges from all ends of the spectrum. Either way, the result is damn refreshing, thanks to their clever fusion of reggae, trip-hop, soul, and dancehall, giving them an uber urban and uniquely distinctive sound. The guys are relatively unheard of in the US, but are hot, hot, hot here in Asia and Europe. Listen to their tunes while driving down an open highway and you'll see why. [1] [2]
  • KT Tunstall -- oh, my God, I cannot rave about this girl enough. Chica is a genius on the guitar and just about everything she sets her hands on, not to mention the clever looping techniques she uses during her live performances. If I could be one female artist for a day, I'd seriously choose her. But I'll shut up and let the music speak for itself! [1] [2] [3]
  • As for the artist whose music has just about conquered every minute of my day (his music spins in my car, iPod, laptop, and stereo), don't let his boyish good looks fool you -- Howie Day, who is the epitome of the angsty, tortured, heartbroken singer/songwriter that all girls love to fall for, goes to dark places with his poignant yet brutally honest lyrics and gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS voice. It's no wonder he's almost managed to conquer that spot in my heart reserved solely for my teenage obsession (key word here being almost, because no matter what, the prepubescent Hanson fangirl inside of me will always live on). [1] [2] [3]
  • Not only am I a fan of Sandi Thom's music (Human Jukebox and Sunset Borderline being personal faves), but I also admire her overall internet prowess and marketing savvy. I mean, concert webcasting from your basement? Who would've thought it could land you a fancy schmancy record deal?! [1] [2]
  • And finally, being the bona fide celtophile that I am, it's no surprise I'm including Celtic Woman in this here list. Partly it's because their harmonies are, as cliched as it sounds, flawlessly angelic, but mostly it's because their voices evoke lush images of Ireland that make me want to pack my bags for the Emerald Isle tout de suite. Éirinn go Brách! [1] [2] [3]

Wow, those picks are all over the place...kind of like my blog entries and general train of thought. Heh, no surprise, though. I mean, I never like to pigeon-hole myself, and my musical tastes are no exception...

So, that said, what are YOU currently listening to?

Currently Reading: About how babies are formed. And don't even ask me why a future dentist needs to know about embryology and organogenesis -- I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Currently Playing: Buttons by the Pussycat Dolls, because sometimes we all need a little Top 40's muzak in our lives. (Also, um, because it's really fun to dance to.)

2 Comments:

At Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the recs! You have such a diverse and fantastic taste in music.

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the rest.

-Bo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home