Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Blast to the Past

[LATEST UPDATES HAVE BEEN ADDED HERE]

***

The tanks have taken to the streets.

Jesus Christ, we've gone back in time twenty years.

(Maybe this is inappropriate, but I wonder if this means finals are cancelled...)

EDIT @ 12:16 AM: CNN, BBC, CNBC, and Bloomberg news have all been suspended due to a "sun outage." I smell bullshit; lots of it. Interesting how the "sun outage" should happen just in time for Thaksin's speech at the UN General Assembly.

They better not "suspend" the internet. If I wanted to be cut off from the rest of the world, I'd live in North Korea.

EDIT @ 12:29 AM: Apparently, all schools and universities in the country have been ordered to close. (I ask again, does this mean finals are cancelled?)

EDIT @ 12:56 AM: There are rumors that all cell phone networks are going to be cut off in the next hour. Hopefully this is just that -- rumors.

EDIT @ 1:01 AM: Rumors are swirling like crazy. I have been getting phone calls and text messages that say a new prime minister, Akrathorn Jurarat, has been appointed.

EDIT @ 1:22 AM: Apparently Thaksin's headed back to Thailand (by commando, natch), and according to rumors, he might not be allowed to land.

EDIT @ 1:29 AM: Troops have moved in closer to home -- Changwattana Road -- which isn't far from the major military base I use as a short-cut on my way to uni everyday.

EDIT @ 1:58 AM: According to 2bangkok.com, troops have moved into the Communications Authority of Thailand, which is located on Changwattana Road. This explains their sudden appearance so close to home...

EDIT @ 2:14 AM: Rumors (and I strongly emphasize this because rumors are going around like crazy) say Pantongtae has been detained at the airport while trying to leave the country.

EDIT @ 2:20 AM: Trains, planes, and cars are all halted. Looks like we're stuck here, folks.

EDIT @ 2:22 AM: Internet's going to be cut down in a few hours. I'm trying to get as much down here while I can. With access to CNN, BBC, and CNBC down, who knows how we're going to find out what's going on now?

EDIT @ 2:24 AM: Bush to make a statement soon (not like we're going to be able to hear it, but you folks outside Thailand will) about the US's relationship with Thailand political and international affairs.

EDIT @ 2:38 AM: Thailand's officially constitutionless and tomorrow's officially a "holiday." What we're commemorating, I have no idea.

EDIT @ 2:48 AM: A friend has told me of rumors of a shooting around the Rattanatibet area.

EDIT @ 2:53 AM: Popular Thai message boards are being shut down all over the place. The Thai blogs are still going strong, though. If you can read Thai, definitely check out http://revolution.blogrevo.com/.

EDIT @ 3:02 AM: My friend's dad, who's a member of Thai Rak Thai, is unreachable and nowhere to be found. I'm still waiting for all of this to sink in; this is supposed to be in the history books, not on my front door, for f*ck's sake.

EDIT @ 3:18 AM: I'm sorry, but I just had to post this: My brother just said, and I quote, "Does this mean I don't have to go to ROTC class this Friday? And if I do, are they going to make me join in on the coup???" XD

EDIT @ 3:29 AM: In light of everything that's been going on, suddenly I'm reminded of a book I read a few months back by Meg Rosoff called "How I Live Now." It features a teenage protagonist, but no matter what your age, I cannot recommend this enough. Run to your local bookstore and check it out.

EDIT @ 3:39 AM: Thaksin's scheduled UN address has apparently been cancelled.

EDIT @ 4:48 AM: My phone has finally stopped ringing, so I'm off to get some shut-eye now. Things seem to have calmed down around the city; hopefully it stays that way when dawn breaks in a few hours...

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:40:00 AM, Blogger n* said...

From what I heard on BBC.... Thaksin's still going to be giving an address to the UN General Council at 7pm EST!!! I'm going to be setting my alarm to wake up in time to watch that...

Not knowing what's really going on is.... FRUSTRATING!

I heard the internet's also going to be cut too... (HOPE that's just a rumor)

on the brighter side..... :) :) :) nice to see you updating your blog again though....

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:32:00 AM, Blogger Marcello said...

Sorry to hear all that's happening down there Lynn... Lots of luck and Good Vibes!

Marcelo

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:49:00 AM, Blogger Marcello said...

Do you still have access to the BBC, etc on the net, or not even that?

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:53:00 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Hey Noi! Yeah, it IS frustrating not knowing what the hell is really going on. This is seriously crazy. I have an exam on Friday and finals are starting in a week. I'm in no mood to study with all this hoopla going on in the city. I hope you're well na ja!

Thanks for the vibes, Marcello. :) As of now, I still have access to the BBC and CNN through the net. I don't know how long that will last, though. So far, blogs are still accessable, which is a good sign, I think. I don't know about tomorrow morning, though.

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:16:00 AM, Blogger Marcello said...

Lynn, sorry but I don't know what to say... I just hope there isn't much violence. Just try to keep calm and brave always. If there's anything we out here can do for you, please let me know. I wish you and your people lots of luck and Good Vibes!

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:23:00 AM, Blogger james said...

Hopefully this is over quickly and noone is hurt. This was all over the news around Noon today Eastern time. Keep us informed if you can (I don't have TV.)

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aNTI-tHANKSIN PpLE ARE iDIOTs.
tHanKSYOU

 
At Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to you to know that you are mega hot. You should run for prime minister since the elections will be held soon.

 
At Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thaksin made a statement that he is jobless. I dont think he will go back to overthrow the military rule. I hope not....for the sake of peace.

 
At Friday, February 25, 2022 4:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start your career with subhe daily learning. We help you learn ui ux design online from Industry proficients having years of experience with Placement assistance to make and grow your career in graphic design course india. Our dedicated placement team will train you not only for an internship but also for final placements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home