Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Different Kind of Drill

When I was a kid living in California, we used to have earthquake drills at school. When I moved to Thailand and started studying at RIS, it was fire drills.

Today, my brother told me they had a different kind of drill at school--

A terrorism drill.

When I first heard that, it just floored me. I don't want to wax political about the terrorism situation in the south of Thailand -- there are enough blogs and websites out there in cyberspace doing that already -- but to think that my brother's school -- as well as other British and American-based international schools here in Bangkok -- stand a chance of being targeted one day by Islamic separatist groups is too horrific to even think about. Of course, with the increasing violence and unrest down south, it could very well become reality.

Let's hope I'm wrong.