Tuesday, April 19, 2005

There and Back Again

Uh, so I decided to move back to Blogger again. Please don't all pummel me at once. I do realize that I've got to seriously stop this moving back and forth thing. If only I'd known that Blogger was going to add all these cool perks while I was away, I never would have moved (back) to Xanga in the first place. Now not only does Blogger have cool pop-up comments and back-posting, but you can also do expandable entries a la LiveJournal and TypePad (which is really useful for long-blog-entry whores like me). I'm going to start the process of slowly moving all my old Xanga entries here, as well as adding links and all that good stuff. Hopefully this will be my last move ever. (*Hangs head in shame*)

I'm currently holed away in Korat after a lovely Songkran holiday in Hua Hin and Cha-Am. During the holiday, I finally received The Revision Letter from my agent. In regards to editing, it's really different this time around because I have a fresh pair of expert eyes to look over the story and point out all the loose ends. It's like having someone pull up the shades; I see all these holes in terms of characterization etc. that I never saw before. Two months ago, however, after toiling and finally finishing the manuscript, I was so burned out, I NEVER WANTED TO CAST EYES UPON IT AGAIN. But because I haven't touched it for a while now, I've actually been enjoying the whole revising process thus far and am only now remembering all the scenes and bits I like best about the story. The only problem is that I could probably spend the whole day obsessing over one single page. It's not like I'm a perfectionist or anything (my desk/personal living space/anything I set my paws on can clearly attest to that), but the thought that this will eventually be in the hands of editors at some of NYC's biggest publishing houses has me scared shitless. Eep.

I'm also working on a YA novel. It's been so much fun to write so far (maybe even more so than the adult chick lit one). I guess it's because, mentally speaking, I'm still stuck somewhere between tenth grade, high school crushes, and the first season of Charmed. Sure it was a trying time full of emotional teenage angst and all that jazz, but gosh, was it a fun time, too.

Anyways, since I knew I was going to be holed away in Korat for the rest of the week, I brought a notebook along with me to brainstorm. The morning we left Bangkok, I grabbed a random notebook from my bookshelf and realized later that it was my old notebook from eighth grade. EIGHTH GRADE. Only four pages had been used (Advisement period was useless, me thinks), and guess what I found tucked and hidden away in the middle of it?

Old letters from middle school!

Exhibit #1:
Hey Lynn,

What do you mean you're the unluckiest person in the world?! You're sitting next to ORANGE [Note from Lynn: "Orange" was the name a bunch of my friends and I dubbed our then crush (yes, all four of us actually had a yen for the same guy)]. You have no idea how lucky you are. I mean, what are the odds Mr. Curran would sit YOU right next to HIM? God, it's probably destiny, or something. So don't you go around saying you're the unluckiest person in the world -- YOU'RE SITTING NEXT TO THE HOTTEST FRUIT IN THE EIGHTH GRADE!

Okay, so maybe it's kind of hard to concentrate on what Mr. Curran is saying in class because, you know, Orange is sitting right next to you. And maybe you might forget to breathe, like, for a few minutes, or something. But really, that's such a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. (Maybe, if you forget to breathe long enough, he can perform CPR on you.)

Like Ms. Aloha said in English Lit last week: Carpe diem. OPPORTUNITIES LIKE THESE DON'T COME BY EVERYDAY.

Amen. Live and learn, baby.


Exhibit #2:

Dear Lynn,
Let's call the fille bete le vache, so elle will not connais or sais that nous are talking about elle. Well, le vache est tres arrogant, like your stupid Orange (sorry, but he IS!). Still, Orange is probably not as bad as le vache, though. Le vache talks tres much about les garcons tous les jeurs, et elle est tres bossy. OH MOI GOD. JE CANNOT STAND LE VACHE!

Write Back,
*****

Don't worry if you can't speak French. Even if you could, I don't think you would be able to decipher said note. Should any native Frenchmen or Francophones happen to stumble across this, you have my sincerest apologies for my then 14-year old friend's appalling command at French. I guess it doesn't help to say that my French back then was MUCH WORSE than hers... (By the way, le vache is French for COW. And no, le vache was not as bad as ***** painted her up to be. In fact, le vache is now one of my bestest of friends. ***** and I were just really mean bitches, I guess.)


Exhibit #3:
LYNNNN!

Oh my God. On the way to World History class today, Eddie and I stopped and leaned back against the wall because of some oncoming traffic. When I looked up, guess who I saw? Him! He touched my shirt! HE TOUCHED MY SHIRT! And I touched his! But guess what? Later, after World History, I was in a rush to leave, and just as I flung open the door, I went and totally BASHED THE DOOR INTO HIM. Like right in his FACE! I didn't know he was standing there! I was sooo mortified.

THEN -- get this -- later, after lunch, as I was going up the stairs to Science, I saw him a couple of steps ahead of me (I wasn't stalking him, I SWEAR), and he had a POST-IT stuck on his back. Some asshole stuck a post-it on his back! I felt so bad for him! So I was gonna be nice and all, and tell him about it. I tried calling him, but he couldn't hear me, so I hurried ahead and decided to pull it off myself. JUST as I was reaching out, STUPID ******* came by and shoved me into HIM! I SWEAR ******* TOTALLY DID THAT ON PURPOSE! I was sooo embarrassed! Now it looked like I was groping him, or something! I hope he doesn't think I was going to, like, assault him, or something!


I don't know about you, but that little stroll down memory lane left me in stitches. I was laughing so hard, I was crying. It's so easy to laugh at our teenage selves, but back then, those dilemmas were seriously traumatizing.

Man, what I wouldn't give to be fourteen again!


Currently Playing: Boulevard of Broken Dreams By Green Day

Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold

22 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha omg you're frenchglish letter is like a mirror image of mine from my francais days too! Goodluck with all of the revising! Don't forget to come outside for some fresh air to clear out your mind :)

I'll pummel you later for moving again, jk!

-Pam

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynny Lynn Lynn! You know what? No matter where you blog, I'll roam to read. *hehe, does that sound too corny? Stalkerish?? hehe* Anyhoot! Those letters are hilarious.

Happy Songkran and good luck with your novels!

-jimmy

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're living the 'Carpe Diem' life by just getting your work into the hands of big publishing factories.

I know how you feel, I'm scared shitless when I have to make presentations infront of bank execs and when I go casting!

But you can do it! =)

The notes gave me a little trip down my own memory lane. hehe.

~Bo

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aahhh i miss the days of crushes when you'd re-work your route to classes just so you can run into *him*. Not.. that.. I did.. that.

Good luck with your masterpiece! Ferris Bueller...you're my heroooo

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 12:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RYC: lol Lynn your comment just reminded me of my professor's voice echoing "PAS DE FRANGLAIS!" haha mais, je agree, conan oh la la il est the best!

i'm sure you were much less naughty, but my friend and i got busted for this one during the cafe' conversation series, "pardonnez, mangez-moi s'il vous plait?"

-Pam

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egads, I don't want to go back to the eighth grade. So, is that what all you girls did back then? If any boys wrote such compromising correspondence (which would have been a cold day in hell anyways), it wouldn't have survived to this day, being consigned to a fire or turned into a spitwad. I am curious, though, did anyone in your posse draw bubbles or hearts instead of dotting your eyes? The horror.

- Kris

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, I meant "I"'s. Sticking sharp writing instruments into your eyes surely would have been a horror.

- retarded Naeglerian

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 5:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm, whats a "YA novel"? (probably a question only asked by those of us over the age of 30... sigh!)

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Bo: Aw, thanks. I'm sure you do great, though. I mean, not everyone gets called in to star in music videos, you know. ;)

Fone: "when you'd re-work your route to classes just so you can run into *him*." I thought I was only one who did that!

Pam: Ahem, I'm so sure that was just a tiny Freudian slip on your part. ;D

Kris: God, no. Hearts were a definite no-no. Bubbles, I can't be too sure, though...

Him: YA novels are essentially young adult novels catered for the teen and tween crowd (around 11 to 17). A good example is Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series, Cecily von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl series (though that's admittedly much racier in content), and Zoey Dean's A-List series. I think mine will be a little lighter, though...more in the vein of Meg Cabot, Sarah Mlynowski, and Dorchester's Smooch line.

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... "Young Adult". Ok.

Wonder why I didn't know that :/

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005 10:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh, cool. new blog.

xanga.com/monstermarlo

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 1:15:00 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Pete: Ahh, yeah, I'm too finicky for my own good. =X And you're right - I realize now that blogger is way better than xanga in terms of features etc.

Whoa, you've got shitloads of pics in your flickr account! ;P I love the B&W ones you've taken of Jane with Jessie & Sydney. So artistic and so beautiful...

Baba: So sorry! I hereby vow not to uproot myself from blogger again. :P

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 2:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay you're back on blogger! i couldn't comment on your xanga for some reason...

good luck with your novel!

try writing a "pocket book" next and be a dara! :p


daisy

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 2:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the story about the franglais ?
Lynn and Pam, hav u been to France ?

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha those notes were funny!

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chica! the song is by "the postal service" called "the district sleeps" ... yeah our new year is full of water and baby powder fights.. not too cool when you're dressed up in the traditional outfits... i haven't gone to wat in years though

-- chanta

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to start blogging about food again (consider this an official request), so that I may at least have some inspirations to venture out of my cubicle at least once a week for lunch :)
-jimmy

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005 3:38:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Daisy: Thanks, Daisy! Dara? I wish! I need to get a book deal first. :P

Fred: Pam and I were just making fun of our tres horrible Francais. I have been to France, and though I tried to speak French with the locals while I was there, a lot of the time they'd just switch to English for my sake. Haha, that's how bad I was! :P

Pan: They are, aren't they? ;D

Chanta: Thanks! I've heard of The Postal Service, but have never heard any of their material. I'm gonna check out that album now.

Jimmy: Yes, sir!

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:04:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Check your email, Ben!

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005 1:01:00 PM, Blogger nash said...

LOL.. Mr.ORANGE? High School French? Well, I must say your writing style & personality emerged very early on, Lynn! :)

Happy to see you finally back in writing. Don't worry too much about the big guys in NYC. Your writing IS original and you are a great writer!

--Nash

 
At Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back to blogger... although this post sounds oddly familary to what you posted about when you moved back to xanga.... be seein ya back at xanga when they upgrade?? ;) memory lane is always fun.... funny letters sounds so familar to my hs days although not so french take care!

May

 
At Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Nash: Heh, thanks, but those very witty letters were written by my friends to me way back in the day. They're such funny, awesome ppl. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home